Tuesday, November 2, 2010

1 in 20

The day started out a bit chilly and of course windy in El Chalten, home of the famed Fritz Roy. But I had come approx 6,000 miles I was going to make the trek even if the clouds were engulfing the mountain. So after a stop at the local pastry shop to pick up my sandwich I was off.

After 6 miles I came to the last and it looked all up. "All this to see a cloud in the sky.". Yes it was all up for an hour. After 30-40 min it looked as if it was starting to clear as I could now see the base. Well it was time to go back down so as I could be sure to make my bus. After an hour of down I turned back around and there it was, most of Fritz Roy. And as I walked away it became clearer and clearer. According to a local it is only entirely visible 20 days during the summer and thankfully I got one of them. We could even see it at 8:45pm (it stays dark v late) from probably 60 miles away.

To round out the day I saw a red headed woodpecker about 15 ft away doing his thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment